Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Libros de Artista: An Interview with Carla Nicolas

We are delighted that Carla Nicolás, Pyramid Artist-in-residence during the the month of November, will be presenting a lecture titled Flipbooks: Back to Front, at the Book Arts Fair. I asked her some questions regarding her present work, upcoming projects, and what she is looking forward to at the Book Arts Fair.


Gretchen:
What are you working on currently?
Carla: I’ve finished ‘Derelict’ recently, an unreadable book-sculpture. This book is like a drift boat: the content is a sea of paper making with aeronautical tables, the welded structure cover represents the upper works (part of the boat out of water) and his light’s the lighthouse wich will take to solid ground. The light is a very important part of this work.

Gretchen: What are you most interested in exploring in your upcoming projects? What will you work on during your residency at Pyramid?

Carla: I’m interested in letterpress woodblock printing (I don’t have the possibility in the city where I live) and I want to work about the unique book concept with sculptural forms.

Gretchen: If you could have dinner with three artists, living or deceased, who would you choose?

Carla: I’d choose have dinner with Käthe Kollwitz, Charles René Mackintosh and Edgar Degas. (it’s a great and very dificult question… maybe tomorrow I’d choose other artists like Warhol, Dalí, Tàpies... but this is the answer for today).

Gretchen: What are you looking forward to doing or seeing at the Pyramid Atlantic Book Arts Fair?

Carla: I hope to learn watching the works of the artists invited and his creative process, find new concepts, materials and other processing around book arts. In short, I hope to find quality artist’s works and interact with them. This is a great opportunity to learn and nurture the intellect and creativity.

No comments:

Post a Comment